Saturday, October 3

Little Kid, Big Kid

There's something magical about the 18 month stage. We suddenly have a little boy on our hands and he's growing up fast. It's both exciting and annoying to have Gideon gain independence: I love that he'll go and get everyone's shoes and put them in front of our feet when he knows we're leaving. I get pretty annoyed when he pushes a chair up to the computer desk and climbs up its shelves to pull down decorations multiple times per day. Etc.

Gideon got his first official haircut last week:

What a cute kid. He loved the clippers massaging his head. Proof he's our 3rd child: I cut his hair with no one watching, no fanfare; he was lucky I remembered to take his picture. I didn't save a lock of hair for his baby book--well ok, so later I did when I found a piece a day later and I figured it was a sign because I was feeling guilty that I had thrown it all away. Do we really need to save their hair?? Anyway.

Here was my inspiration for wanting to cut his hair:

I do believe we have a curly boy. It was looking pretty crazy on our little family vacation last week and I was ready to do something about it.

Moving on...
So, for some reason we've decided that it works well to move our kids out of the crib on the early side. Gideon has been sleeping on his mattress on the floor for over a month now and is doing great! I was reluctant to have Tom take the crib down immediately, but it is gone now and we've got a big kid sleeping in his 'bed' now. I am always surprised to peek in during his naps to see that even if he was playing when I left the room, he did get on his bed to curl up and sleep.

We love this little growing boy!

6 comments:

TomO said...

For those of you who might be wondering, yes that is a lion sitting on top of a jeep in the background of the picture with Gideon's curly hair.

TomO said...

Gideon is turning into an incredibly cute kid. I think it's great how he imitates the older kids, trying to learn how to do things. Today he tried to join in the game of chess Allison and I were playing, and for a while he actually helped move the pieces without destroying the game. One of my other favorite recent things about Gideon: he loves to try to tackle me. He really throws his whole body into it, and it's lots of fun!

Higleys said...

I agree. I love those next big stages. Daniel is now fully mobile and it's a joy and a pain. Your kids are great.

rebecca said...

Cute Gideon. I love/am annoyed by this stage too. Mostly love. One year olds are so great!

Yes, why must we save hair? I do it too.

I've been thinking of moving Nathan to a bed as well. I tend to leave our kids in their cribs for longer than necessary. In the past the oldest kid in a crib (we've usually had two in cribs) has been kicked out by the newest baby. Now, with Nathan being the last, I'm just anxious to move on from the crib and have everyone in beds. You've got me thinking. Maybe I'll try putting him in Matthew's bed for naptime.

Legoland pics next?!

Nicole said...

Everytime I see him I am shocked at how big he is! When did that little baby grow up? He's adorable though! VERY fun age!

Karmy McKee said...

I like the haircut, great job Amy! I can totally relate to your comments!