Around Christmastime last year, we welcomed a FREE piano into our home. *Thank you again, Liddells!!* No, Tom & I are not really pianists, mostly semi-repentant former piano lesson rebels. We like to plunk out notes to sing along with, as well as pull out some fairly easy songs to work up our skills. I can really wail on some of my old piano recital numbers, which bring back the memories.So, did I mention this was a FREE piano and that it is maybe 80 years old and well-loved?? It had some "love" marks all over it, complete with a heart carved into the music stand. I would look at it everyday and think, "I could refinish that piano, no problem." And so, one day, without really thinking about the consequences, I began sanding a very visible spot to see what would happen. Thus began 3 months of sanding, scraping, scraping & sanding, figuring out Home Depot, staining & finishing. And then applying more finish. I only ruined one electric sander, which mysteriously stopped working mid-way through the project *thank you Dad for the extra sander you happened to leave with us so I could continue uninterrupted* Anyway, the kids LOVED spending several Saturday mornings at the park with Tom so I could get the dirty work done. I have composed this post in my mind a hundred times as I slaved away. Not because I am an amazing blogger, but just because I knew when it was time to write about it, it would mean I was DONE. And, I am proud to announce that it is DONE and beautiful!!
The process was interesting--going from excitement to see the old scrapes disappear, to the realization that this was way too big a project for little ol' me and I might just have a half-finished project in my living room forever, to feeling how smooth it was becoming, to start seeing the end product as the stain soaked in, to absolute frustration when I realized that putting the finish on is an art--a talent I don't yet have. When I was "done" I was so upset because the finish ended up drippy and uneven and in my mind it was a huge mess.
Enter Tom. He stayed away from my project, happy to see me throwing myself into a physical, hard labor job. He eagerly supported me and helped occupy the kids when I was working. But in the end he stepped in and saved me, researching what could be done and offering to help. So, we lightly sanded one more time and he added one more coat of finish, making it look ten times better. And then we both put it back together and stepped back to admire our handiwork. I sure can see every mistake and I know it doesn't look like a professional job--but I do know there's a lot of sweat and love put into our piano and it's perfect for us.
I have no desire to do another refinishing job in the near future, no matter how badly our kitchen table needs it. I truly admire all of the woodwork I've noticed in the past couple of months and I am in awe of whoever applied the finish and made it so smooth! All I know is that the next time I'm at a garage sale or somewhere and I think that I'll just buy something and "just refinish it" I will think again. For now, I'll use my energies on enjoying our "new" piano and working up some new recital pieces. And our kids need to be prepared: piano lessons are definitely in their future.


16 comments:
Wow! It is very beautiful. I am a bit jealous! Good job!
You did a great job, Amy! I refinished a small table once, so I know what you mean. But the piano looks fabulous and what a huge accomplishment!
it's beautiful. Job well done
it looks so good! yay! it really looks brand new.
The piano looks incredible! All the sweat and hard work translates into something you can be proud of. Definitely something to treasure as a family! :)
Wow, Amy. What a beautiful job. I want to see it in person. I love your determination, your perseverance and your writing style.
Gorgeous!
This piano will be passed down the Omer family! It is beautiful!!
AMY!! I'm so impressed! What a beautiful job you did! It's amazing!
I saw this when you had it apart... and all i can say now is... WOW! I am very impressed Amy!! You did such a GREAT job!! Enjoy!! :)
Looks fabulous!! It's been fun to watch your progress each week.
I think it looks amazing, Amy! Thank goodness for "finishers" like Tom. They save us from ourselves!
Amy, it is beautiful! What an awesome fruit of all your labor!! That piano will always have a special place in your heart and your home because of all the work you put into it. I'm sure it was a love/hate relationship for a while, but now, its all about loving the music and good times enjoying the piano with your family. Thank goodness for such an awesome husband! Tom knew just when to step in and help bring the project to fruition. Yeah, Tom! Yeah, Amy!!
Amy, you did a beautiful job!! I know you will enjoy your piano for many years, especially with all the time and tlc you put into it!
beatiful! someday i want to learn to play!
All I can say is that you are soooo brave! It looks fantastic!
Post a Comment