Allison & Jacob came out of their Quiet Time on a Sunday afternoon and I was shocked to find what little "art project" they had been working on together. Allison's hair was gone!! This picture doesn't do justice to the real life masterpiece--hair wildly chopped in front and both sides. I was so sad to pick up a PILE of beautiful curls left all over her bed. She told me she did it because she wanted to be a boy. And then I was even more discouraged to realize that I had actually planted the idea for her to do this! I remembered a conversation we had just after church:
Jacob and Gideon were playing around the living room and Allison was trying to join in. Jacob kept saying she couldn't because she wasn't a boy--she wasn't in the "Boy's Club." She came to complain to me and I joked that we should cut her hair so she could be a boy. She got really excited and said she could wear boy clothes and be in their club because she didn't want to be a girl anyway. I then took the opportunity to have a "wonderful teaching moment" about how she will always be a girl and she's supposed to be a girl and I love her as a girl... It was such a great teaching moment that it didn't register there would be a problem, even when the kids took scissors and newspaper ads with them into their room to cut out interesting things as Jacob likes to do. I asked Allison if she needed her own papers to cut and she said she only had one thing she wanted to cut and didn't need papers. Oops. I should have seen this coming!
Well anyway, we were able to rush to the "ward hairstylist" Mandy the next morning for an emergency haircut. She did a great job with what she had to work with. I really think this must be the ultimate test for a hairstylist to try to make a child's haircut mess work.
17 comments:
She's adorable, even in the bad haircut picture, but especially after it was fixed.
I am still waiting for this to occur in our house. My oldest cut an inch off once, but you couldn't tell, luckily. Allison's fixed up cut looks real cute.
Thanks for the photos, since we had heard the story and just had to use our imaginations! I have to agree, Mandy did a great job. "Adorable" is a good description, especially since Allison's adorable personality shines through her new adorable look! I love it!!
She looks darling!
I seem to remember chopping off my own hair as a little kid. Just think of all the other "greatest hits" (i.e. getting a head caught in a banister) you can look forward to.
what a story!! oh my goodness. i love her new hair. it looks super cute (good job mandy!!)
so cute that she wanted to be in the boys club!!
She does look good. Oops, you can check us out at higleyheroes.blogspot.com if yoou want. We have now as well. Make sure you journal w/pics for her. I cut my friends hair.
I love that story.
what a cute/ sad story! I'm always afraid my girls are going to do that... Her haircut looks cute though!
A story that will be told for years to come. All little girls eventually give themselves a haircut, but I love the reason behind her new little 'do.
I can't count the number of times I told my mom I wanted to be a boy as a kid! I cut the cat's whiskers for some strange reason, however. :) I like Allison's revised haircut, but I bet you were devastated to find all those adorable curls on the floor. :)
Oh how cute. Now that I know the story, it almost seems okay that she tried. The new hair is adorable! Here's hoping Rebecca can have a similar cute short haircut when she does the same thing. It is bound to happen. :)
I guess she stopped listening to you after "cut your hair so you can look like a boy!" She still looks adorable. And I think this has happened to all of us...at least my daughter did it.
Thank goodness for Mandy! She did a great job. I love that you took before and after pics. She'll love to see that when she's older. I'm waiting for my turn... I know my Alli will do the same one day. Ugh!
She's darling with or without hair. You're a good writer, Amy.
Hey! It's been a long time and I thought I'd see how you are doing. Sounds like you're great. Lots of fun trips and activities. Good luck with your online sales of your illustrations. They look great. One day I will need an Amy Omer illustration before you're all famous! You have such a cute family and I know you're a good mom. Take care!
Oh man, she is a doll. Poor thing...wanting to be a boy. She'll realize the error of this desire someday and laugh. :D
Post a Comment