Thursday, February 5

A Potential Disaster

I didn't think Tom would ever agree to let me drive to UT with 3 kids without him. But, surprise! He was ok with us leaving for a week to visit family and trusted I could make the drive. So, we hopped in the trusty minivan and waved goodbye. Seriously, this could have been the biggest disaster ever (screaming, car trouble, getting lost, more screaming, etc). I was even thinking in the first hours of the drive that we still could just turn around and forget the whole idea. I was pleasantly surprised when all was well, even after a few hours.

For better or for worse, the WHOLE, mostly QUIET drive was sponsored by a DVD player and a Leapster game system we borrowed. Seriously, it could have not gone more smoothly driving 1,500 miles with 3 small children. Jacob & Allison ate treats, watched movies and played games together in the back. Gideon slept a lot of the time and any time he made a fuss I was able to stretch back and hand him crackers. He was pretty happy with that arrangement! (Ok, there was one moment where I pulled over and set up a Baby Einstein show for him because I think he was bored out of his mind as he stared at his seat the whole day.) And I listened to a book on CD the entire drive, so I was occupied as well. We stayed the night in St. George at my brother and sister-in-law's place and then caravaned to Salt Lake the next day with my sister-in-law, Melanie, and her 3 small children who also wanted to see family in SLC. It was nice to have a driving buddy in Melanie to make sure we were both safe and could make smooth rest stops.

Anyway, the biggest reason we wanted to get to Utah at that time was this:

My older sister, Emily, was visiting my parents from Minnesota. I haven't seen her in a couple of years and it was time to catch up again! It was great to see her and swap experiences and remember the good ol' days at home.

The kids enjoyed their time in the snow! (Well, maybe not Gideon from the look on his face.)

We went swimming at an awesome rec center!

We enjoyed hanging out with the Omers--they had quite the gathering of family popping in and out over the weekend! We were grateful for the chance to see most of Tom's siblings.

Tom's family waves 'hi' as he misses out on the festivities. How sad for him to miss the fun times! (However, in talking with him throughout the week, I didn't feel too bad about leaving him--he had a week packed full of activities himself: a lot of overtime at work, multiple dinners with friends, movie and game nights with friends, surfing, X-box night, etc!! Live it up, I guess!)

Of course, the trip was over before we knew it and it was time to get back to real life. Our drive home was smooth sailing once again and we were VERY happy to get home to Tom and GET OUT OF THE CAR (you know how car trips are)!

9 comments:

rebecca said...

So glad your trip went more smoothly than you imagined.

Looks like you had a lot of fun with your family. I didn't realize you hadn't seen your sister in years. That must have been a happy reunion!

Becky M said...

I'm still amazed and impressed at how you pulled it all off! Glad you had a great time.

Jan said...

What fun to read your summary of the trek to Utah.... I still can't believe that you did it! It was such a fun time and so wonderful to see you and Emily together. It was a joy to have you both here and such fun to hang out and play with Jacob, Allison, and Gideon. Guess I'd better get busy and post some pictures, as well!

K-Krew said...

You are one brave woman! Our car trips are never that smooth and I usually have Thom with me. Glad you were able to catch up on some family time in UT.

Amber said...

It was so great to see you guys . . . and I still can't believe you did it yourself, but more power to you :-)! We're coming your way in about a month, I'll be emailing you!

Emily said...

I feel honored by your effort! Love ya tons and let's keep it less than a couple of years between visits in the future!

Tringali Family said...

I just made that trip too, 5 months ago that is. I would definitely do it again. I am glad all went well.

Rose Torres said...

You must be crazy! It sounds like something I would try, only I doubt Lennie would allow it. He won't even let me drive through the canyon on the way to Price with him in the car. You are right, Lennie is doing an MBA. He is also still at Orbit. He is not doing marketing anymore though. He is doing developing/operations stuff.

lys said...

You are a very, very brave woman. Much more brave than I would EVER be. Wow.