Monday, March 12

Lightning McJacob!!

Jacob won the race!! The "Race to the Dry!" A potty training tactic that seems to have worked! After much frustration with Jacob always being a little wet and candy not working anymore, we had to pull out the stops and promise something truly motivating: in this case, Disney's "Cars" DVD.

Anyway, who really wants to hear the details of potty training--the short explanation is that he got to move forward a square if he was dry when he went to the bathroom, and backward if he was wet. This race went on for a little under a month. At the beginning he had to keep moving back all the time, but as he progressed he just moved faster and faster forward. Since he won about a week ago, he has pretty much been dry all the time and even has just gone with no nagging from me a few times!! This is a big deal!! Isn't it funny how glorious the sound of a flushing toilet is, when I didn't even realize he was going to the bathroom?! (Sorry, that turned into a longer explanation than I meant to write.)

Unfortunately for Jacob, we didn't really realize he was actually going to win the race for a while (oh us of little faith), so we didn't order the DVD until the night before he won. The deal we're going through will take 2 weeks before it will be delivered. Jacob is being so patient, even after all of the excitement and motivation to win it.

I just have to insert one little gloat/HUGE blessing: he has never wet the bed! We used Pull-Ups for a time, but they were always dry. Now he just is dry or wakes us up to go in the middle of the night. Yeah Jacob!!

2 comments:

Melissa C. said...

What a cool idea! If I can think of something Noah really wants, I think I'm going to steal your idea and make my own little "race" board. So creative!

rebecca said...

Me! I want potty training details. We're doing the sticker chart with Matthew and it's working well, but a CARS race track is brilliant! There's nothing he loves more (currently). And you are so lucky on the dry at night deal. Larkin (who is quickly approaching 4 and has been daytime trained for almost a year now) still wears pull ups to bed and wakes up soaked every morning. Good for you! Way to go Jacob!